Why Pauline Kael?

"[She] had a more positive influence on the climate for film in America than any other single person over the last three decades."

Thursday, May 30, 2013

The Dark Knight Review

For the first time ever, I watched The Dark Knight and reviewed its cinematography. I was not only surprised by the visual aspect of the movie, but also the movie as a whole. Believe it or not, the movie included several life lessons incorporated into the plot. In addition, the role of the characters in the movie taught me a little bit about how people communicate with each other and have relationships.

Overall, the movie was shot incredibly beautifully and I really enjoyed it. The thing I want to focus on for the purpose of this post is the special effects and makeup, especially that of the Joker and Two-Face. So far for this project I haven't ever really talked about the special effects or makeup that I have seen but this is a perfect opportunity to do so.

I was utterly fascinated by the Joker's makeup in the movie and decided to do a little bit of research on what it entails and how exactly the look is created. I couldn't find anything  directly from the set of The Dark Knight but I did find a YouTube video tutorial of how to create the same look.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2K1eOa6uKc

I also found an interview with the Joker's makeup artist talking about how he thought of the look as well as the techniques used.
http://www.resource411.com/411update/issue_59/articles/dark_knight.cfm

After a quick Google search I discovered that besides the makeup that is used to create the creepy face of the Joker, Heath Ledger also wore prosthetics on his cheeks and mouth to create the scars that form the Joker's "smile." Below I created a transformation timeline of how Ledger becomes the Joker.
          

        Heath Ledger's transformation from a normal face to that of the Joker.

Another interesting transformation in The Dark Knight is that of Harvey Dent into Two-Face after being burned in a gasoline fire. I did some research on how this process occurred and discovered that his Two-Face look was created using digital imagery editing. I found a brief video of how this editing takes place and creates his ugly face that will make you cringe.

Here's the link to the video regarding Harvey Dent's face alterations:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/30/dark-knight-effects-two-face-video_n_1718650.html


Harvey Dent: Gotham's White Knight Remembered     
Aaron Eckhart's transformation from Harvey Dent to Two-Face.

No comments:

Post a Comment