Why Pauline Kael?

"[She] had a more positive influence on the climate for film in America than any other single person over the last three decades."

Monday, April 29, 2013

Tribute to Roger Ebert

Roger Ebert was a highly acclaimed cinematographer who sadly passed away on April 4, 2013. For each movie I have watched and written a review for, I paired it with a post that included Roger Ebert's review of the movie. These reviews that I posted was how I discovered Roger Ebert's talented mind. His movie reviews consist of perfect blends of a movie summary as well as an analysis of the movie and its characters. I did a little bit of research on Ebert when he passed away and realized what an amazing film critic he truly was. He received several extremely coveted awards including the Pulitzer Prize for Criticism, as well as being the first film critic to receive a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. During his career as a film critic, journalist, and screenwriter, he coined the term 'Two Thumbs Up" in addition to being described as "without a question the nation's most prominent and influential film critic." Ebert continued writing reviews for the Chicago Sun-Times right up until his death, despite the fact that his salivary gland and thyroid cancer had destroyed his ability to speak. I plan on continuing to use his reviews as I basis for mine as I continue to view movies an critique them on their cinematography. Roger Ebert was an extremely talented film critic who's influence will be continually remembered and missed. Rest in peace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment